Scallop crudo is a delightful dish that showcases the delicate flavors of fresh scallops. This raw preparation allows the natural sweetness and briny taste of the scallops to shine through. If you're a seafood lover looking for a light and refreshing appetizer or a unique addition to your dinner menu, this scallop crudo recipe is perfect for you.
What is Scallop Crudo?
Scallop crudo is a raw seafood dish that originated in Italy. It typically consists of thinly sliced raw scallops, marinated in a citrus-based dressing, and served with a variety of complementary ingredients. The word "crudo" means "raw" in Italian, highlighting the simplicity and freshness of the dish.
To make scallop crudo, you'll need the following ingredients:
- Fresh scallops: 8-10 large scallops
- Lemon: 1 lemon, juiced
- Extra virgin olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- Sea salt: 1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper: 1/4 teaspoon
- Red chili flakes: a pinch (optional)
- Microgreens or fresh herbs for garnish
Follow these simple steps to create a delicious scallop crudo:
- Start by cleaning the scallops. Remove the tough muscle on the side of each scallop and discard it.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the scallops into thin rounds. Place the sliced scallops in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, and red chili flakes (if using).
- Pour the dressing over the sliced scallops and gently toss to coat. Let the scallops marinate in the dressing for about 5 minutes.
- Arrange the marinated scallops on a serving platter. Drizzle any remaining dressing over the top.
- Garnish with microgreens or fresh herbs of your choice.
Scallop crudo can be served as an elegant appetizer or a light main course. Here are a few serving suggestions:
- Serve the scallop crudo on a bed of fresh greens for added texture and color.
- Pair it with a crisp white wine or a light, citrusy cocktail to enhance the flavors.
- For a more substantial meal, serve the scallop crudo with crusty bread or crostini.
Remember, when enjoying raw seafood, it's essential to use the freshest ingredients and handle them with care. Look for sushi-grade scallops from a reputable fishmonger to ensure quality and safety.
Scallop crudo is a delightful and sophisticated dish that will impress your guests and tantalize your taste buds. Its delicate flavors and refreshing taste make it a perfect choice for any seafood lover. Give this recipe a try and elevate your culinary skills with this elegant raw seafood preparation.