- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 pound sea scallops, halved
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound cod fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1/2 pound littleneck clams, scrubbed
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and red bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, oregano, basil, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes more, until fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, clam juice, and white wine and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the sea scallops, shrimp, cod, mussels, and clams to the pot. Cover and simmer until the seafood is cooked through and the mussels and clams have opened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Discard any unopened mussels or clams. Serve hot, garnished with fresh parsley and with crusty bread for dipping in the broth.
Enjoy your American-style Bouillabaisse!