- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cognac or brandy
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons crushed black peppercorns
- Salt, to taste
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the finely chopped shallot and cook until it is softened and lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour in the cognac or brandy.
- Return the saucepan to the heat and cook until the cognac or brandy has reduced by half, stirring occasionally, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beef broth to the saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce until it has thickened slightly, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and crushed black peppercorns.
- Season the sauce with salt to taste.
- Cook the sauce over low heat until it has thickened to your desired consistency, about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and strain it through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Serve the Peppercorn Sauce warm over your favorite steak or meat.
Enjoy your delicious Peppercorn Sauce!